Tuesday 3 July 2012

I'll take you down to Chinatown

This Sunday was nothing short of a retail epiphany.

Myself and two friends from work planned a proper (post payday) girly shopping excursion, guaranteed to have a productive day as Elyn is from Singapore and knows all the hot spots. Now I haven't previously touched on the topic of Shopping in Singapore (for reasons I will go onto explain) but in a shoddy effort to try and sum it up, it is a bit of an anomaly. Granted, I  have commented on the infinite number of shopping malls which conveniently link the city together providing an underground air-conditioned haven, but the shops inside are obviously the main point of concern today. These vary hugely, from High end couture and sophisticated electronics, to your usual UK high street culprits, and then what I have come to discover are the hidden gems of this city, the 'cut tag' local stores.


By cut tag I mean designer knock offs or your favourite Reiss, Whistles, French Connection, Gievenchy etc numbers with the tags cut out and prices knocked down. Infact, I'm 99% certain this is where Kmidz shops



So. The unaddressed issue of shopping. The presence of malls we have covered, but I have not yet shared with you the intimate facts. Firstly the shops are open until about 10pm here EVERYDAY which Brad thinks is unhealthy, I think however it is economically pivotal, providing jobs, generating revenue and ensuring late night air conditioned sanctuaries for the people of Singapore.
The second, thus far, mute point would be my issue with shopping. Some (many) call it a problem, I alternatively embrace it as a hobby. No, I didn’t list it at the bottom of my CV, but that is beside the point. I like new things (especially clothes) and can embrace this love unashamedly now I earn my own money. (this must not be misinterpreted as self justifying, it is mere fact)

Made in China

Chinatown
I actually ended up venturing to Chinatown twice this weekend. The Sunday trip had been planned for a few weeks, but on Saturday morning Brad informed me he wanted to buy a gong for his office (don't ask) and after mentally checking off Ikea, we thought the most likely bet was Chinatown, So off we trotted in search of a Gong. Turns out we found the same "traditional, handmade, very rare" Gong in several establishments so used our great bartering tactic of "yep that'll do" to secure a sweet deal of $138.  Brad later informed me that Gongs are rang (banged?) when an important person enters a room- I refuse to Gong his entry to the flat.

I was not impressed when the shop owner asked if it was for "when I have cooked the food"
Note the authentic red string


Taking our senses on a whirwindl trip of Asia we then headed to a Japanese restaurant that Brad had been to with some old friends during the week. The food was Immense. Perfect for what then became a rainy saturday afternoon, we sat in the back of the dark restaurant, proud owners of a Gong, feasting on sashimi, guilt free glutton. 





Tender Beef wagu, Chicken terriyaki, Sahimi tray with cucumber salad and miso soup. PROTEIN!!


Saturday evening we threw a curveball and went for Tapas, I had the traditional Spanish favourite 'Sangria'... and ate the fruit. The heady mix of Sangria and wafts of garlic form the rest of the spread were nearly enough to distract from the fact we were in the middle of a shopping mall, and mentally transport me to a butling Spanish town. Nearly.


Round Two

On Sunday Morning we, after each having quite late nights we congregated at a place called "the Club Street Social" for Brunch, prepared to spend money like it was going out of fashion. The Club street social for those of you who live in Singapore, or are just visiting is a brilliant little brunch/lunch spot, with a laid back Manhattan vibe transitioning from brunch to bistro you could quite happily sit with the paper and go from Granola to Gin in the dark wood and modern tile setting. If you have a hangover this place will sort you out. If you are a Londoner, this is the closest thing we have to the Electric in Notting Hill.







We sat and recounted the previous nights tales over , scrambled egg with chives, err what looks to be egg on toast, and a maple syrup soaked panini with egg and smokey bacon. I didn't even have a bloody mary- this was set to be a serious shopping day.








shop shOP SHOP


And so it began. first we hit Chinatown, where I must be honest, I wasn't feeling it. There were some great little stores, but the aromas, my hangover and the scrambled eggs sitting in my tummy were making for a rather nauseating combo... I did however make it over this initial hurdle to our next location for the afternoon- Far East Plaza. Bargain Heaven.

Mini OPI high volume high quality- yes please

No room left in the stockroom- store it under the perspex shop floor- Genius. I'll have the red one please.

Louboutin's. Real Macoy? you decide...

My snazzy new phone case from the lovely Elyn.


This mall was incredible. Each little shop just has rails and rails of dresses which are carbon copies of our those worn by our magazines regular features, Vicky B and KMid seem to be the main sources of inspiration. Any dress you can think of is there, either from the original source or an exact replica. Amazing. Yes you have to be in the mood to hunt and barter, but by god it was worth it (note, it helps being with Mandarin speakers for this!!) We spent hours and many many dollars, bulking out our work and play wardrobes, and also had a great time dressing each other up. Visit the website of my fave shop here to get a sneak peak of what they sell: Princess Queenie (yes really) 

Controversially I have decided not to bore you with pictures of every item I bought as it will reusable a cheap catalogue that falls out of your magazine on the train never to be given a second thought- and my clothes mean more to me than that. Instead I might do a short term "Today i'm wearing feature' and show you some of the amazing pieces I picked up for work. (And ask some of my beautiful work buddies to get involved)

Far more so than in the UK, girls LOVE to get dressed up for the office here, everyone is always in gorgeous dresses with thoughtfully picked out accessories, heels are high, legs are bare and leather good are designer....even if your dress, despite appearances is not. When it is hot and everyone is slim, it make for quite a glamourous city. I love whiling away hours on fashion blogs and am always riddled with envy when these fashonistas as my mum the magazines would call them get to spend their working day in Boyfriend jeans and perfectly cut white vests. Well we aren't all that lucky so here is a snapshot into a real life, working girl's (in the purest sense of the word) wardrobe


Blue silk shirt H&M, Necklace  Local store, Skirt Forever 21

 Work dresses, Navy slit neck dress 'Glitter Glam' Singapore with Topshop belt.  Pink and back dress 'princess Queenie' Singapore, came with belt.

Chain Mail necklace, Forever 21. took this off about 3 mins into the day- too distracting.

It is pretty though

Defining my new Asian waistline (sort of)
So after that picture fest I will leave you to you day/night wherever you are in the world. 
Speak Soon
XXX

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sian,

    I am super jealous of all the fabby new purchases. I need to get myself over to Singapore ASAP! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I chanced upon your blog as i was surfing on the internet. My partner used to work in London for about 10 odd years and returned to Singapore a few years ago. Just earlier this year we went back to visit and I just fell ion love with the place.

    Your blog is a great read, I actually miss London even more. :)

    Have fun and enjoy. :)

    Chadx

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete