Sunday 8 July 2012

Life's Little Pleasures

There are few things in life greater than a lie in. 

One of those things, which I'm sure most of you will agree with, is having a lie in when its rainy and miserable outside. No pressure to get outside and 'make the most of the day' and despite how snuggled up and cosy you may be, feeling that annoying lingering sense that it is your duty to catapult yourself from the comfort of your duvet cavern to the sunshiney outdoors, bright eyed and bushy tailed, with a mile wide smile suggesting to the world that you naturally awoke to the song of the birds... 

On Saturday it chucked it down, and with not a slither of a sense of guilt we enjoyed every. single. minute. of prolonged bed hibernating. Annoyingly for Brad he had a bleep test for his hockey game on the other side of Singapore late morning so had to haul himself into reality earlier than I deemed necessary on such a grim day. 

By the time Brad had exceeded a level higher than standard to join the British Army (fact) and returned, I was finally ready to face the day. off we trotted to grab some lunch down at the Club Street Social where I had brunched the week before, for a quick bite as for the rest of the day he had hockey followed by a boys nights out, and I had plans to do nothing but 'rejuvenate'. 

Water melon, Ricotta and chicken Salad, sounds wrong/tastes right

prosciutto, mozzarella, tomato, truffle mayo Panini. and a ramekin with a Tomato  in it?  
As Brad scooted off for his first hockey game of his 'Singaporean career' (more on this to come) I trotted into town for some me time and a pedicure. Previously I have tended not to spend money on such things as pedicures as to be honest no one ever saw my feet, and trivial vanity splurges would have significantly dented my disposable income back in the UK (blame the Tax). Here however, they are cheap as chips, and my toes get a lot of air time.

The colour is apparently called Kinky. Oh you guys at OPI

little wilting foot
Whilst rubbing some grainy exfoliating stuff into my calfs calves, the woman asked "Do you do a lot of sport? A lot of running?" As it turns out I actually do, so flattered, and assuming she was commenting on perhaps some mildly toned legs I gave her a brief low down of my weekly gym routine. To which she responded "run less, hard feet, tough skin."... Charming. I then insisted on keeping my legs tensed for the remainder of the massage. Just proving a point.

After having my feet spruced I popped over to one of my favourite malls, Ion to buy a bottle of perfume i have long been lusting after. Chanel Allure. 
For the first time in ,my life I felt like a proper grown up, fully commanding the fragrance purchasing process, I didn't hold out until my next duty free opportunity, nor buy the bottle with the best packaging or nicest freebie. I marched in, sniffed some bottles for a little bit (I'm not sure why I did this as I knew full well what  I wanted, this just seemed like a natural opening to procedures- a bit like tasting wine in a restaurant I guess) After sufficient sniffing and pondering looks were executed I made my move. Marched shuffled  over to the gayer than Christmas sales assistant and with purpose announced "I would like Chanel Allure, Eud du Parfume please. the biggest bottle you've got."


My confidence was perhaps too convincing as he diligently nodded, scurried off into the back room and reappeared with a beautiful little white bag. whilst presenting his hand in expectance of my payment. Proud of my own assertiveness I handed over my card, signed the receipt and scuttled off to Coffee Bean to look at my shiny new bottle of Perfume (a habit i have retained regarding new purchases from childhood) It was only at this point it occurred to me to check how much I had actually paid...Now I am no stinge when it comes to spending, but OUCH!


Feet polished, smelling sweet and tiered from traipsing about the busy shopping mall all afternoon window shopping (a rarity for me, but it is the midst of the 'Great singapore sale' at the moment, far too busy for my liking, I'm more of a tactful midweek shopper) i headed home to resume my position cuddled up under the duvet, to get stuck into the TV series 'Revenge'. As far as lazy Saturday's go, this wasn't bad at all.

XXX


2 comments:

  1. Avidly reading this as relocating myself to Singapore at the end of the month, decided to quit my job to try my best in Singapore! My boyfriend is looking for a hockey club to join there - do you mind telling me the name of the one Brad has joined? Loving the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nade, thanks for your comment! ahh good luck for the move, we did the same and no looking back, i;m sure you will love it out here! Brad plays for the Singapore Cricket Club (SCC) which is great as it means we get discounted membership, however there are loads of clubs I believe. I'm going to watch an exhibition game this weekend with a few of the teams so will do a post on it after and try and include some info. hope that helps! x

      Delete