Wednesday 11 July 2012

Death pools and Dehydration

"No one has ever drowned in their own sweat" (or as far as I'm aware whilst having a pedicure)

In the last 72 hours I have succumbed to two terrifying, torturous, yet apparently totally acceptable fads currently sweeping the nation globe... 'Fish pedicures' and 'Hot Yoga'. Both were equally traumatising and wet, experiences. 

I'll start with the fish. Brad was feeling a little fragile on Sunday morning after his first night out with the Hockey boys, so we headed to the Mall under the Marina Bay Sands (that big thing that looks like it has a ship on top) as the mall there makes for easy browsing, despite having an odd canal in the middle with a little sailing boat you can rent, it's also got lots of quieter designer shops to mooch about in, easier on the senses "the morning after". As we were mindlessly ambling about we came across the sadistic salon  Fish Pedicure place. 

At , what I believe is a pretty standard price, $45 each for half an hour, in we strode confident that we could take on the little mites, and enjoy it. Brad often boasts of his love and knowledge of fish after spending 3 years studying them at Southampton Uni. So armed with his degree in Oceanography (finally a purpose) was set to be in his element enjoying the fishy species whilst achieving soft, groomed feet, right? WRONG! I don't care what the leaflet said these little 'Doctor fish' as they were so called are absolute sadists. They could smell us coming (even after washing our feet). As we sheepishly approached the benches they congregated like a pack of hungry wolves (with gills) to catch a glimpse of their next victims. We tentatively dangled our innocent, virginal soles above the water, apprehensive to take the plunge, when they called upon their counterparts on the other side of the tank- the pack mentality alone was nerve racking- and we hadn't even begun. spending the first 20 minutes or so deliberating (money well spent) I was first to take the plunge. Whoever wrote on the info poster 'slight tickling sensation' is a bare faced liar. It was the weirdest, most uncomfortable, visually harrowing experience of my life. See my attempt below. It paints a pretty accurate picture.


Some people may enjoy this under water sado-masachism, it wasn't however for us. And whoever dubbed these loonies 'Doctors' needs a firm talking too- I would not be awarding any fishy PhDs for their "skills".... but, if only for the experience- Try it.

'Hot Yoga'

The second trauma of the preceding days has been Hot Yoga. However I must be honest, despite the initial shock to the system and enormous physical exertion, It was very, very good. In fact I am going back for another 2 classes this weekend, so please, don't be put off by my initial cynicism, I just want to accurately reflect the emotional/physical roller coaster I embarked on over the course of 1 hour 15 minutes. 




I went to a studio called Hom Yoga which is just behind Boat Quay in the CBD, perfect if you work in the city. Describing themselves as  

"Trendy and fun with a twist of bohemian-eclectic . Hom Yoga inspires a fresh and modern approach to practicing hot yoga, and offers a diverse range of hot yoga classes"

They have also recently been voted 'Best Yoga/Pilates Gym 2012 by Cleo Body Awards' Celo Magazine. Check out their website HERE and their Facebook group HERE. Even if you aren't based in Singapore the Facebook group has some great yoga tips and tricks, motivational pics and yummy recipes. Excellent 4 o'clock fidgets viewing.



For those of you who are in Singapore, even better news. If you like the Facebook group and mention your interest on the wall, you are treated to a weeks trial at 30% off ($28 total) to go to as many classes as you can survive you'd like in that first week.

There are several slightly varying classes, and all are done in a 'Hot' room. By hot- they are NOT joking, they crank it up to 40 degrees Celsius with no windows or doors open. I was sweating before I had even moved! The class began and it was noted I was the only new comer by the instructor, not a problem though I was made to feel really welcome and not intimidated at all- the room full or regulars just went to prove its reputation, and frequently returnnig loyal members. The mix of clientel was also refreshing- I was under the false impression, perhaps innacurately due to its snazzy website, that I would be surrounded by impossibly toned Yoga bunnies straight out of the pages of the latest Victoria's Secrets catalogue. This was not the case. It was a really grounded mix of people, from my observation, of all experience levels, shapes and sizes, the majority of whom I imagine had just popped along from work. There was a guy in my class as well (participating, not watching). So no making excuses- ANYONE can go along.
In my limited experience, I don't know much about yoga at all except it helped Miranda Kerr look like that, however from what I read I believe the teachers at Hom are of a very high calibre and have excellent, training from around the world so there is a style and class to suit everyone.

What came next I couldn't even have preempted. I expected it to get sweaty, but good LORD it is coming off people in buckets. I felt like I had sweated out several pints. I would consider myself to be quite fit as I exercise most days, and have always been naturally flexible, but even the most miniscule movement in that temperature is exaggerated beyond measure. The stamina and strength required to maintain a simple stance is multiplied unmeasurably, and despite constantly drinking water, you feel close to edge of consciousness several times throughout the session, to be brought back to focus by carefully orchestrated breaks.



By about 5 minutes in I was sweating from areas I didn't know I had glands. At one point whilst arse over head and looking down at my matt below, I wondered, "why on earth am I crying?" as droplets fell from my eyes, "I am feeling pretty relaxed". It didn't really make sense. Then it clicked. Not crying. Sweating. My EYES were sweating... Despite pushing my body to the absolute extreme, the stark contrast between the intense concentration, muscle usage and stretching make the moments of stillness,  pure serenity and after showering and walking home you do feel totally refreshed and detoxed. It was an extreme physical challenge, but definitely one I am looking forward to repeating....Long and lean, think long and lean.

A note for life, courtesy of Hom Yoga

So its been a fairly active week despite being only Wednesday. Things are set to get even more obscure as i have my first ever Karaoke night tomorrow (aaahhhhhhhhhhh) off to practice Dolly Parton 9-5, oh and my Downward Dog.

Namaste
XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment