Saturday 2 June 2012

Expat Experiences



So MASSIVE APPOLOGIES about the lack of blog for the last 2 weeks, we had to wait to get internet and TV installed in the new flat, they were dark, sobering times.
So what have we been up to? As I am a rather overactive facebook updater you probably already know, in fact to save time I could probably just bullet point my status updates. But no I am committed I shall not cut corners, and in my usual rambling, poorly punctuated style I shall fill you in on the last 2 weeks events. I have also recently acquired an iphone so like those people who up to now I have merely considered news feed spammers, I insist on taking pictures of EVERYTHING especially for some reason ‘nice views’ pointless really.

Lewingtons always land on their feet

So We did it, flat all sorted and furnished, down to the very last teaspoon. Welcome to our Unit (actually what flats are called here, we haven’t joined a gang, nor been sectioned (yet))

A pictoral tour

















 How did this all come about? 

Dawn the estate agent who you met in the last post found this gem for us, the flat is awesome, location is perfect but before I bore you with those details, I feel it is only appropriate to give some page time to the incredible MR ONG, the LandLord

When we first went to view the flat Mr Ong was there to show us around, and unlike crazy lady who hid in the car park, he went for the subtle sell. His air of anonymity (or seemingly slim grasp of the English language) was compelling, we wanted to know more. The flat was a winner in itself an awesome complex, close to work*, high spec bla bla bla, and on top of this Mr Ong’s attention to detail could not be faulted. On the first viewing he had a copy of Sherlock playing on DVD to remind us of home, I was plonked down on the sofa getting fully involved in Benedict Cumberbatch’s cheekbones in no time at all, this technique was on par with baking fresh bread to sell a house. Knowing we had such a great landlord and such a great place Brad bartered the rent down as he does and by that Saturday we were able to move in. Mr Ong had impressed us on viewing day. On move in day, he took it up a notch. Mr Ong was there when we arrived to show us how to work everything and all the general move it shenanigans, his presence enough was a gift. Admin aside he then offered to take us to the supermarket and show us where everything was, great plan and an opportunity to get Ong on his own. Off we trotted to the gourmet grocer where a box of cereal is about 7 quid (still haven’t found pound signs on these keyboards) and stocked up on essentials. Omelette ingredients (safe bet in an Asian supermarket) bread and orange juice purchased we went back to the flat. Learnt a bit about Ong too- turns out he is a scientist, went to Cambridge, was at St Johns college and used to get drunk on port with his Tutor. cleverLad.

We bid farewell to Ong now our favourite Singaporean (sorry Dawn) and looked forward to the next time we’d meet, hopefully not to long as wed planned a brunch date with him! THEN Ong makes his final move. That evening he returns and proves that he is no mere mortal. On our trip to gourmet grocer Ong had noticed we had purchased eggs and bread. SO He arrived with gifts. Gifts of a toaster because ‘he noticed how us Brits like to toast our Bread” and a full set of 6 induction pans for me because “he presumed I like to cook” (one slight lapse in judgement). All in all Ong is a total hero, i will try and get 
a photo with him when we go for Brunch soon.


*actual commute time from my bedroom to my desk (excluding getting ready. Obvs.)


Working Girl

I am just finishing my 3rd week at work and its great. Its great company, really big and ltos of expats which is nice so we have a little Thursday night drinking squad. However. Like most things I do in life my first week here was not drama free.
Desk with a view
Afternoon snack in the office
The Friday before I was due to start I had to come into the office to pick up my employment pass documents, whilst I was in I met my boss and team mate who I had never met face to face before. My boss is awesome, a Lady from the UK, and before i met (lets call him John) she gave me a heads up that due to a “traumatic incident in Thailand last weekend, John was not his normal self” I ten met john, who as i had been prepared for, was a bit weird. But I just put it down to the incident.
Later that evening Brad and i are sat in the hotel and i just cant stop thinking about weird John. The company and everyone else seemed great, he just seemed like an odd fit. I had a bit of a moan that i was worried we wouldn’t be able to work together and didn’t have the same progression plans for the team. Brad told me to give it time, it would probably be fine.... turns out I COULD NOT HAVE BEEN MORE RIGHT.
I spent the following week working with John and it was bizarre. He was always missing, claiming he was at meetings and smelt like alcohol permanently. He told me weird stories about being accused of being caught with prostitutes, gambling and moving in with his estate agent. He was just plain weird. 1 week into my brand new job, John got sacked. This to be honest is a massive relief as I can crack on with work without the fear of being mugged at my desk, however it also means that ontop of my work load i am doing the work of 2, and retracing and mending his path of destruction.
Now jobless, assumingly visa-less, in debt to the company, with 3 rinsed credit cards and several near criminal convictions, John is a prisoner of Asia.
In the wake of John everything has been running smoothly. Here you have to sit an exam to work in my industry (weird) so I had a lot of training and revision sessions to attend. Last Friday my work friend and I sat, and passed the exam. Woohoo. This means that I am now officially allowed to recruit people in Singapore, and the documentation gets filed on the government website so people know I am not a crook. Legal documentation is a big thing in Singapore you need a licence to do almost anything. So I obviously got drink and lost my certificate, just to keep things interesting...
(Don’t worry I got my secretary Brad on the case and had replacement documentation sent to my company so all is hunky-dory, I am praying however I don’t have an alias somewhere in Singapore)
Brads job is also going really well. He is recruiting at the moment so has lie-ins and seems to only interview in bars, at night. So nothing new there. This is however useful for scoping out good watering holes. He also appears to have adopted a technique of if they aren’t right as an employee but are a “good lad” he attempts to recruit them as a friend. To date his offer to acceptance rate on this side is poor, maybe he should offer friendship commission.
To celebrate our first week of work (the scene of the lost certificate) we went to the SwissHotel 
 restaurant for dinner. Its on the 70 somethingth floor. Check.it.out



Admiring the view (reflection)



 Socialites

Without a doubt  leaving our friends behind in the UK was always going to be difficult. No more Thursday night wines for me with the girls, Sunday sessions at the ship or just general misbehaviour in the same stereotypical haunts we have graced since our late teens. He hasn’t voiced it yet but I know Brad is starting to feel like its been a little too long since he’s dressed as a woman or done a Guiness and Bailey’s at the “lashmere”. However we are making headway on the social front, and as Brad interviews potential friends I have met some lovely girls through work and been on a girl date with a fellow Aberdonian, we then went out with er and fer BF for Pizza, social strides for us! This weekend we are off to Malaysia (cos we can) for a day trip on Saturday with Aberdeen friends and their local buddies and have Brunch plans on Sunday at the beach… stay posted for pics.

Cultural delights

Some little Singaporean oddities we have come across that made us laugh...I don't think the novelty will ever where off!

Lau Pau Sat Hawker market, one of the most famous in Singapore which is right next to our building. MAssive food halls with stalls selling local delights, curry, noodles, meat etc for mere pennie. This one also has a satay street, after a night out you will never want cheesy chips again!

Capitalising on 2 of lifesd finest things this innovative company have combined fish pedicures with internet cafes. obvious really.


After Friday night drinks with friends coming home and sitting on the balcony watching Singapore in the warm night air. I prefer to be behind the camera.

At the till in the local 7-11 i noticed this free lipgloss. Then realised my error, its condoms with free lipgloss, and on further inspection the more obvious was confirmed its condoms with free lube. At least it wouldnt look suspicious in your handbag. (N.B this was not purchased)

The wise weather stone

Cheers to the Churchill

As life finally starts to pick up a bit with social event in the calendar we're looking forward to sharing more adventures with you! Have a Great Jubilee weekend UK, big thanks Queen for the long weekend your all getting, and a subtle hint at extending such gestures across the globe.

Speak soon 
XXX













No comments:

Post a Comment