Tuesday 8 May 2012

How it all Began...



Today 08/05/2012 my boyfriend (Brad) and I are relocating from London to Singapore. Why? well, I supposed to best place to start is the beginning...

In December 2010 I moved to London to start a new job in the city. I  got on a train with my entire wardrobe in suitcases, moved into a flat share I found online and generally threw myself in at the deep end. It was a new, slightly terrifying yet exciting world. Work was a shock to the system at first (I felt professional just commuting on the tube with the Metro under my arm) but I soon found my feet, and surround by new friends and uni friends slotted into my new "London Life"

Although times were good, they were a little tough initially working long hours, living off a pretty basic salary and trying, yet consistently failing to find a "healthy balance" between work and play. As the months went by memories were made, nights out were forgotten, I started to do well at work and was becoming increasingly more capable of holding 2 glasses of Pinot Grigio and still making it to work on time the next day. 

Another couple of months on and life was ticking along quite nicely. I loved living close to all my best friends and worst influences, and hard work was paying off. It was an intoxicating mix of evening drinks and the buzz of forging our way in the real world, no longer being asked "where do we study?" but now "what do we do?"

This all seems great, but the one thing that appears to be missing from this equation is the boyfriend, well thats where it gets a little complicated, as he was there from the start, in fact, he was essentially the reason I moved to London in the first place. In a poor attempt to dodge a cliche....My boyfriend was my boss...

So fast forward to March this year and after work one evening Brad comes home from work with his serious face on and asks me how I would feel about moving to Singapore as he had an incredible job opportunity? A few weeks, several discussions and a job offer all of my own, later it was official, we would be moving in May.

People keep asking if we're scared, and why we're going when we have everything we need here? So to answer those questions, no we're not scared, yet. However i may be when i see my excess baggage fees at the airport. And when they ask why...well why not?! We have an opportunity to keep working hard, hopefully earn a little more but also to discover Asia, to have new life experiences, to travel to places for long weekends that we could otherwise only hope to visit once a year from the UK. And we can finally be a couple, properly. No sneaking about, no work taboos, no dodging photos, and we can live together- that in itself will be something of an experience.

So on that basis, welcome to my blog. As we embark on this mad Asian experience for the next few years I want to share our journey and our attempt of transition into Expat life, sharing our disasters, discoveries and adventures along the way.

But for now I better go, we leave in 4 hours and I have my 'last minute important things' to do. This includes a last minute appointment for a full head of highlights.... don't know when i'll next see a trusted salon after all...

Speak soon,

Sian. x  








No comments:

Post a Comment